As a member of the Oakley community, I formally pledge to follow the You, Me, We Oakley! Welcoming Principles to make the City of Oakley a more welcoming community that respects the intrinsic dignity of all people. The Welcoming Principles I intend to practice, in community with others, acknowledge the following:
- I have a shared responsibility to treat ALL our neighbors with dignity and respect that they deserve as a member of our community.
- I reject the use of exclusionary or de-humanizing language; this includes recognizing and understanding how stereotypes harm our community.
- I will challenge common myths and stereotypes that only serve to divide our community.
- I will treat others the way I would like to be treated.
- I will try to put myself in someone else’s shoes in order to understand their point of view.
- I will develop an understanding of cultures other than my own.
- I will not judge, nor discriminate, others without first attempting to get to know them and their story.
- I, as a member of the Oakley community, will acknowledge that everyone has unique qualities which contribute to our community and make this the beautiful City it is today.
- I commit to ensuring that any community activities that I am involved in will be inclusive and inviting to all community members.
- I will make sure to keep an open mind and an open heart in order to be accepting of all who visit, live, work and play in the great City of Oakley.
If you are an Oakley business or organization, we will add you to the map of signers.